The project's history
El Alberto, an arid region for nature and its inhabitants El Alberto is the name given to one of the regions of the state of Hidalgo, in Mexico. Located in the center of the country, Hidalgo is known because of its water scarcity. In the region El Alberto, the communities depend on small sources which are most of the time polluted and located far away from their homes. Indeed, women often have to carry the water on buckets all the way to the community. Concretely, it takes more than 3 hours a day to go and bring back water to ...Discover this project
Impact measuresSecond expected social impact: 200, education, replication
Provide work to more than 200 indigenous women who will be the distributors. Danone HOD will train them in all the issues related with the business: sales, administration, washing jugs, etc. KPI : number of jobs created Volunteers from HOD Mexico and from “El Alberto” will give education in health and ...Read more
on the Tuesday, 4 September, 2012 - 09:36
You probably all know Xolchilt Galvez. She is the founder of the project Ela Alberto, member of the board of directors of danone.communities, a very famous woman in Mexico for her engagement to help indigenous communities, etc.
Remember, she was on stage for the Paris event of the GCM Tour 2012.
Xochilt Galvez (left) during her speech at GCM Tour in Paris.
Follow Xochilt !
The blog "Ya Nos Toca"
Her Twitter account
on the Wednesday, 30 November, 2011 - 11:42
In October, Emmanuel Marchant went to the state of El Alberto to celebrate the launching of the new water filtration unit of the mexican project.
See here some pictures of this celebration.
on the Thursday, 3 November, 2011 - 15:43
The beneficiaries who are targeted by El Alberto Project are the indigenous communities of the state of Hidalgo, especially those from the region of El Alberto. The facts of the communities in Mexico give an interesting insight into the inner region communities.
- The indigenous population in Mexico accounts for 10,103,571 people, that represents 9.8% of the country’s population.
- There are 68 different communities, those with the higher population are: Nahuatl, Maya, Mixteco, Zapoteco, Hña Hñu, Mixe and Chinanteco.
- The majority of the indigenous communities live in precarious conditions.
In addition the facts from the indigenous communities of the state of Hidalgo tell a reality which highlights their poverty and their marginality.
• There are 871 indigenous municipalities.
• 745 are of high and extremely high marginality.
• 126 are low marginality.
• 70% of the indigenous population do not have an income or earn less than the minimum wage.
- To date, about 130 000 beneficiaries are estimated within 32 different communities / 200 women should get a job by selling water / 20 liters of water would be sold at 9 pesos (0,53 cents €).
- The project El Alberto in Mexico is a start-up funded in May 2011. Its purpose is to bring safe drinking water to indigenous communities in the State of Hidalgo, in the center on Mexico. The plant should be finished in November 2011.